Senior Product Designer
Driversnote is a product-centric and profitable SaaS company based in the heart of the Copenhagen startup scene. We take pride in helping more than 1,9 million users in over 50 countries keep a mileage logbook. No one likes to do mileage documentation - so we try to remove this tedious work and make our customers’ work life simpler by saving them time and money.
We’re a small, very product-oriented team: 7 web & mobile developers, 2 product designers, 2 product managers, 1 UX writer, 6 in marketing and 9 in operations & support.
To the majority of our users, Driversnote is first and foremost a free mobile app they find via an app store and install to get automated mileage tracking. They will often start out with motion-based tracking, become aware of free user limitations and become a paying customer on a subscription to remove limitations and get an iBeacon for improved tracking accuracy.
We have a B2C-like relationship with many of our users, but we are gradually moving more and more into traditional B2B space with all that this entails of further product enhancements.
The way we work
We use a product development process known as Shape Up, where a few key people take the role as shapers and define projects that can be designed, implemented and released within 6 weeks, known as cycles. For each 6 week cycle, we form new cross-functional teams with designers, developers, marketing and customer support people on them, and we let the teams focus exclusively on finishing their projects within the cycle. Each 6 week cycle is followed by a 2 week cool-down period, where we fix bugs, execute functional projects, evaluate how we did and plan the next cycle.
We like to say that our unfair advantage is that we care more than our competition, and our users and customers tend to agree when they review our app, respond to NPS surveys and rate our support. We also care a lot about our employees, and between each cycle the entire company has a Team Health Check together, where we rate and discuss how we work together and thrive in our roles. We have a generous budget set aside for each employee to learn and develop, and we try to do a lot of fun stuff together.
We have a lot of work ahead of us and are therefore in need of a talented Product Designer. It’s a great opportunity for someone who wants a lot of responsibility and your designs in the hands of thousands of customers and has an outsized impact on the product.
As a team, we believe in a collaborative working style with a bias towards rapid prototyping, user testing, and a strong interest for our customers and their needs.
We’re looking for a passionate UX/UI designer, striving to create their best work and caring deeply about understanding the customers’ needs and behaviours to help them achieve their goals as easily and enjoyably as possible.
You should be able to take lead on design tasks and know your tools inside out. You are confident in applying best practices to design problems and clearly articulate your ideas to other team members.
You’ll be working with:
- Shaping: Figuring out the best solutions to a given opportunity in collaboration with the rest of the product team. Validating solution ideas, sometimes conducting concept or usability testing to maximise the chance of a successful outcome. You’ll condense your findings and suggestions into a pitch that will go to a betting table every 8 weeks and function as a starting point for the cycle teams.
- Building: Based on the shaped projects you’ll take part in cycle teams, working together with our developers when building new features and making improvements to the product. We expect you to take an active role in the iterative design process and participate in usability tests, customer interviews etc.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have 4+ years of experience with mobile and web design - from concept to production - and a portfolio to back it up.
- Have an evidence- and data-based approach to your work making sure to keep the user in focus through continuous validation and testing.
- Like to stretch your wings across user research, split testing, user experience and product design.
- Have experience with user research and are confident when addressing users and customers through interviews and user tests.
- Are a team player with a systematic approach who can juggle multiple projects at the same time.
- Are comfortable working with Figma to create production-ready designs.
- Focus on goals and not tasks, contribute to planning and keep the team focused on first principles. Start design challenges with a clear problem statement.
- Have an understanding of the fundamentals of design systems.
It would be nice if you:
- You have worked in a product-led SaaS company before and believe in the product-led approach.
- Have experience from working in a start-up or building a product from the ground up.
- You’re a fan of the Jobs-to-be-Done framework and have experience with performing switch interviews or have worked with Outcome Driven Innovation.
- Have worked with OKRs and have experience setting meaningful goals for yourself and your team.
What we believe in
Vision & mission: We work to eliminate work-life hassles to let people focus on what matters. Today, that means removing the pain and trivial work of handling mileage, while providing peace of mind that nothing is forgotten and all rules are followed.
Product-led: We focus our work on the end-user and optimise for bottom-up adoption. People's use of our product is what leads to our growth. We sell through our product and as self-service. We invest in customer success instead of outbound sales. Our marketing is focused on people with a need, leading them to the product.
Lean & data-driven: We try to get a deep understanding of the problems we’re solving. But we also acknowledge that we often can’t predict the outcome of our work. So we believe in an experiment-based approach to product development with short build-measure-learn cycles. For this reason, we also don’t believe in detailed plans for more than 3 months ahead.
Long-term & compounding: We invest in things that will have a continuous return and compound. We e.g. prefer a 1% improvement of activation rate over a €100k deal. We’re self-funded, so we don’t stress about the next funding round, and take the time to go into depth with our work.
What we offer
At Driversnote you will be part of a team composed of talented people that are fun to be around. You will have ample opportunity to influence decisions at all levels, and we hope we can both teach you something and learn something new from you. We have a new spacious office on Skelbækgade where we enjoy a great freshly cooked lunch every day, as well as networking and partying with other startups when times allow. Since many of us have spouses and kids that we enjoy spending time with, we can honestly say that we offer a healthy work-life balance along with a competitive salary and all the benefits you would expect.
How to apply
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Senior Product Designer”, and tell us why you’re the one for us. If you have a portfolio, include it in your application, otherwise please include any other showcase of your work.