April 19, 2021

Our guide to mileage reimbursement


Welcome to Driversnote’s guide to mileage reimbursement and deduction in Canada. Here, you'll find a collection of articles that will help you navigate the rules around how to deduct your mileage expenses as an employee or self-employed individual, as well as how to reimburse your employees for their business-related car expenses as an employer.

Knowing the rules and requirements for how to log your mileage is important, as it could mean the difference between being reimbursed or not.

If you have questions like:

  • Is my mileage reimbursement taxable?
  • How should I record my mileage so I can be reimbursed?
  • Can I claim my business-related car expenses as a tax deduction?
  • What are the current CRA mileage rates? 
  • Do I need to reimburse my employees’ car expenses?

... then we'll provide you with answers.

If you’re self-employed, we recommend starting with our guide for the self-employed. We have similar guides for employees and employers as well. There’s also a handy article we’re written if you’re looking to claim back your business-related car expenses through your tax deduction.

Check the menu for an overview of articles. We hope you find what you're looking for! If not, feel free to reach out and tell us what we missed.


This material has been prepared for general informational purposes only, and should not be taken as professional advice from Driversnote. You should consider seeking independent legal, taxation, or financial advice from a professional to check how this information relates to your own circumstances. Relevant laws also change from time to time.